Gift Gone Bad

            Over the summer, I worked in a medical practice office and this was my first work experience with no peers of my age. I made lots of observations about the organization in this office, but it wasn’t until I started this class when those observations made sense.

            The medical practice has four surgeons who specialize in general and bariatric surgery. This organization is made up of the following: four surgeons (three of which are partners and own the practice), an office manager, physician assistants, medical assistants, front desk staff, scanning staff, and the bariatric department. In the bariatric department, there is: a supervisor, surgery schedulers, insurance advocates, and patient advocates.

            I was hired as a paid summer intern and I was the only intern for the summer. I was being paid the same amount as the scanning staff, front desk staff, insurance and patient advocates. I was assigned to work with a patient advocate in the bariatric department, who reported to the supervisor, who reported to the office manager. The supervisor and office manager had their own offices and the rest of the bariatric staff working in a large room, except for me and the patient advocate I was working under. My job description was preparing for seminars, working/hosting these seminars, communicating with potential and new patients, end of the month reports, ACS (accreditation of the practice), and referrals to the practice.

I came to my first observation quickly: the supervisor is not a leader and does not have manager characteristics. This created a break down between the other bariatric department staff. Since the supervisor was not acting as a manager, extra work and responsibilities (that should have been dealt with by the supervisor) were put onto the office manager and then delegated to other workers. This created resentment between the staff because some people with doing more work and working longer days than others, but still being paid the same amount of money. In addition, the workers who wanted to take on more work and responsibility to better the practice did not get along with the workers who did the bare minimum. The different work ethics among the workers created a divide and each group looked to a different person for leadership and approval over decisions. The workers who had a strong work ethic and high productivity saw the office manager as their superior, and in contrast, the workers who had a low productivity saw the supervisor of the department as their superior. Overall, I would argue that the high productive workers in the practice, not just the bariatric department, were the individuals who had intrinsic motivation.

The patient advocate I worked with had intrinsic motivation and received a lot of self-gratification from preforming at a high productivity level. As an individual, who at the beginning of the summer internship had no previous experience in a medical office, I benefited greatly from having a mentor who acted more like a leader than a coworker. She possessed the qualities of a leader and I always thought she was the stand out individual for the supervisor position. The women I worked with had a transaction cost when deciding who to value more. Frequently, she would be given tasks by both the office manager and supervisor. She would have to determine which task was the most pressing and important to be completed first.

As the summer continued, I observed that many of the bariatric staff would look to my mentor, as opposed to the supervisor, for guidance. Both the intrinsic and extrinsic workers came to her for advice, knowledge, and feedback. The extrinsic workers would attempt to put their work on to her and consequently me. I would complete the task faster and with less complaining, so often we did not argue with them about who should be doing the work.

I believe that this practice implanted the gift exchange model. The office manager recognized that the women I was working with was picking up the slack of the other workers and valued her employment in the firm. To keep her happy, the office manager moved us to a separate office. This increased her happiness because we could work separately from the department workers and increase productivity. However, I feel that the gift exchange model was not fully realized because there was no reciprocation among the workers. This was due to a few different reasons. One, because there was no cross training between workers and individuals only knew and wanted to do their job. There was no willingness or possibility for workers to pick up the work of missing coworkers. In addition, because the workers were completing different amounts of work, this created a divide amongst the bariatric department.

           Since the summer ended, I have kept in contact with patient advocate I worked under and she has updated me on the firm. Two insurance verification workers have quit and the office manager is currently looking to replace them. These two workers were not high preforming individuals and had extrinsic motivation. I would argue that the practice will be better off without them slowing the progression of the practice.

Comments

  1. I found it interesting that you would work in a medical practice. I've had many students who were pre-law and some of them worked in a law office. Econ students often go to law school. But your experience is new for me. Are you pre-med? Or possibly, are interested in the business side of health care? After all, it is a big business.

    I would have found it helpful to understand the role of the Office Manager better. You said the Supervisor reported to the Office Manager. Then you described the Supervisor as something of an under performer. Did the Office Manager know this? If so, why did the situation persist. That was unclear from your story.

    Another part that wasn't clear is whether the non-medical staff viewed their job as something permanent or instead as stepping stones for some other job. Sometimes you work hard in a job not because you love the work, but because you want your employer to be a reference for the next job elsewhere. That really is extrinsic motivation. Sometimes it is enough to produce a lot of effort.

    One other thing in this particular line of work is empathy for the patients. That can drive work performance even if the work itself is otherwise not that interesting.

    What I'm trying to get at here is that you parsed motivation of the staff - the hardworking ones had intrinsic motivation, the others did not. But you never explained where the intrinsic motivation came from. Did you ever talk with your patient advocate about what she got out of the work and why she was so engaged in it?

    You also mentioned pay and that you were getting paid at the same rate as an intern as many of the other staff, which to me was a bit surprising. You didn't comment on whether that pay was generous or meager or somewhere in between. Do you think pay mattered for staff motivation? If so, it would have been good to say something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always had an interest in health care and I have been around it all my life. I have many family and friends in the health care industry. I find it fascinating and never boring. I am interested in possibly doing something on the business end of health care one day.

      The office manger made sure that the bariatric department, along the medical and physician assistants, were on task. In addition, she made sure the surgeons were happy and everything in the practice was running smoothly as a whole. The office manager did in fact know that the supervisor was not fit for the position. I believe the reason why the office manager did not take action towards finding a new supervisor or punishing the supervisor was because of her history with the practice. The supervisor has been the supervisor for close to 10 years. However, I believe the patient advocate I was working with was being trained to one day take over the supervisor position.

      On the topic of the non-medical staff, I would say it was about half and half. Half of the staff really enjoyed working in the medical care field and with patients who needed this practice. The other half simply did not. I would argue that they did not understand the bariatric patients we were helping by working at the practice. I do not think that everyone understands how people become obese or what they face everyday being so over weight. I myself have never been obese, but I still believe that everyone imagine what it is like to walk in someone else's shoes.

      I did talk with my patient advocate about what specifically motivated her and she said the self gratification she gets by working her. She loves interacting with people and helping the patients that come to the practice. She also has a strong work ethic, which her parents instilled in her at a young age when them immigrated to the states. In addition, it was obvious to anyone working with her that she is a born leader.

      In terms of pay, it was generous for the position. I think pay definitely matters for staff motivation when the staff is extrinsically motivated. If the staff had intrinsic motivation, then the pay is just a bonus.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Triangle Model

Mad Men and Group Dynamics

Organization of a Committee